June 13th-19th is Alaska Invasive Species Awareness Week! Join the Kenai Peninsula Cooperative Invasive Species Management Area (KP-CISMA) at community events designed to reduce and prevent the spread of harmful invasive plants that threaten the peninsula’s fish and wildlife habitat, takeover our backyards, and alter the places we love to recreate.
There are numerous upcoming events across the entire Kenai Peninsula to participate in, hosted by a variety of KP-CISMA partners. Interested in joining us? Bring your gloves and come for an hour or a full afternoon. For more details, contact the host listed next to each event below.
- June 12: Visit the Kenai Peninsula Stream Watch Invasive Species Booth at the Russian River. Here, anglers and other recreationists will have the opportunity to learn about invasive species in Alaska. Educational material will be provided as well as a demo boot brush and a chance to win prizes. For more information contact Maura Schumacher (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- June 16: Invasive Species Booth at Soldotna Wednesday Market, Kenai Watershed Forum. This booth will be focused on both adult and childhood education as it related to invasive species. The booth will have games, prizes, and educational materials. For more information contact Maura Schumacher (email@example.com).
- June 16, 1-5pm: Community Weed Pull at Pratt Museum, Homer. Contact Katherine Schake (firstname.lastname@example.org) for details.
- June 17, 10am-2pm Community Weed Pull at Homer Demonstration Forest, Roger’s Loop Trailhead access. Contact Katherine Schake (email@example.com) for details.
- June 18, 10am-2pm: Community Bird Cherry/Chokecherry Pull, Homer. Site located at 2070 East End Road. Contact Katherine Schake (firstname.lastname@example.org) for details.
- June 23: Cooper Landing Weed Pull. Contact Maura Schumacher (email@example.com) for details.
- June 25: Seward Community Weed Pull. Contact Christina Kriedeman (Christina_Kriedeman@nps.gov) for details.
- July 6th: Central Kenai Peninsula Weed Pull. Contact Maura Schumacher (firstname.lastname@example.org) for details