Why is it a Problem?
- Dense populations can significantly reduce water availability for other plants
- Hosts a number of plant pests
- Can slow the establishment of native plants
- Each plant produces 4,000-13,000 seeds that are spread by wind
- Seeds may remain dormant in the soil for up to 6 years
- Quickly invades new areas by spreading roots
How do I Manage this Plant?
- Manual (e.g., hand-pulling or digging) and mechanical methods (e.g., mowing) reduce seed production and weaken root system
- Manual and/or mechanical control methods should be repeated several times each season for multiple years
- Plants are resistant to many herbicides